Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Cthulhu Rising

On the final day before half term, my eldest child didn't want to go to school. I considered being lenient and having a family day off, but in the end made them go, as I knew there would be a cooking session today.

Here is what i was presented with at home time:



If you can't tell, its mostly candy, with a thick layer of regular sugar stuck to it.

My youngest had (despite our expressed wishes against religious worship/participation) been educated in making 'Diwali' cake; a Hindu cake with a high sugar content. I'm not sure if this is the same recipe below, but my partner knew a Brahmin, and says that Hindus do have a sweet tooth.
http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2006/oct/20diwali1.htm

Where does this leave the push to have healthy food in British schools?
At Blaise school?
I'm not going to focus on the religious aspect of this here, but do you think that a religious observance could justify bad nutrition in school? Is the Divali cake more legitimate than the Cthulhu cake?
I'm withdrawing my permission for my children to 'learn' to 'cook' at school.

When we were home, my children tried a nibble of both, then spat them in the bin. I hope it was a conditioned reflex, and not parent appeasment.

No comments: