Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Spark are Flying

Today we had to watch out for shooting sparks on the pathway inside the school. The workmen on the roof were using angle grinders. I reported it, and thats the end of that...sorted.

We had a nice long play in the park today, the boys are getting bigger and stronger.

However. My youngest came home with another picture book, this time featuring someone dressing up and smoking a cigar. An explanatary note in his diary said:

'I have given you another book without words as it is really important that they start by using pictures to tell a story as they won't get chance further up the school. They will have books with words soon.'

Well...firstly I can acknowledge the need for them to make words up to tell a story, thats fine, but why would a teacher think that he was just starting? Starting they're curriculum or system of study perhaps, but he's not starting to read or handle books from his own individual point of view. Additionally they *will* get
the chance to make up more stories using pictures later on...regardless of whether its scheduled. We will make stories with them, and let them decide how the story goes.

My other sons bookbag had the same book in it again, the one i asked to be changed yesterday. I guess the teacher had not the (scheduled?) time to do reading today. Again.

Finally. When I asked what they had eaten for lunch, I was informed: chicken nuggets, ice cream and jelly.

This is annoying, and not what I was led to think they would get judging from Blaise School's paperwork. Aside from an odd incident with they're Grandmother, we had successfully banned ice cream and jelly from our house and family.
I was also told that my eldest was offered chocolate by bigger children. He says he refused. What was the slogan in the eighties?

Just Say No.

Thats right. He managed to say no to the other kids, but i guess a dinner lady ladling it onto your plate legitimises it..

I would say its time to write a letter, but this blog is that and more, being public and all. I think I'll send people the URL's.

No comments: